With the cooler weather well and truly on it’s way, it’s important to stick to a healthy way of eating and living to ensure that you stay fit and well throughout the year. It’s easy to slip into bad eating habits when it’s super cold outside and all you feel like is a hot chocolate, or a whole block of chocolate!
To help you satisfy your winter sugar cravings, we have sourced some deliciously warm winter smoothies that are both hot and toasty, and nutritious too!
White Chocolate Coconut Smoothie
- 2 large or 4 small chunks of white chocolate
- 2 + ½ cups fresh coconut milk
- 6 tbsp oats
- 1 ripe banana (the riper the better)
- 20 cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp toasted coconut
- Add the white chocolate to a jug, and pour in 2 cups of the coconut milk. Microwave until the mixture is hot and the chocolate has melted (you can do this in a pan if you prefer).
- Place the oats, banana, cashew nuts, 1 tbsp of the toasted coconut, and the 1/2 cup of cold coconut milk into your smoothie maker or blender (don’t add any hot liquid to your smoothie maker or blender).
- Blend on high for a minute until the oats and have been completely incorporated (add an extra splash of cold coconut milk or water if it’s looking too thick to blend properly).
- Divide the blended oat mixture between two cups and stir in the hot milk/chocolate mix. Top with the remaining toasted coconut and serve.
Hot Orange, Carrot & Ginger Smoothie
- juice of 1 large orange
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 large carrot, washed and roughly chopped
- juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 200ml water, just boiled
- 50ml cold water
- Add the juice of 1 large orange, the ginger, chopped carrot, lemon juice, honey, 50ml cold water and a splash of the hot water to your smoothie maker or blender.
- Blend until everything is incorporated. Pour into a cup, stir in the rest of the hot water and serve.
- 1/2 cup of oats or chocolate protein powder (as seen here)
- 1 banana
- 1 squirt of honey
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of maca powder
- 1 tbsp of chia seeds
- A few tbsp’s of yogurt
- 1 cup of full cream milk
- A few ice cubes
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend away!
Sourced from: https://ghnutrition.com.au/2016/06/17/my-super-smoothie/
Hot Cinnamon Apple Smoothie
- 1 apple, cored and cut into large chunks (leave the skin on)
- 1/4 cup sultanas
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons raw pecans
- Place the apple chunks, sultanas, cinnamon, and 1/4 cup water into small saucepan and heat over medium heat for about 6 minutes, or until water boils and apples soften. Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow apples to cool for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the apple-sultana mixture to your blender. Add the pecans and 3/4 cup warm water. Process on high for 1 minute, until smooth and creamy. Drink warm.
Sourced from: https://cleancuisine.com/apple-smoothie/
Cranberry and Apple Hot Smoothie
- 20g/2.5 tbsp. dried cranberries
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 6g/1cm cubed piece of ginger, peeled and chopped finely
- 150ml + 200ml water, just boiled
- 1 sweet dessert apple, chopped
- Place your dried cranberries, cinnamon and ginger into a cup and add 150ml of boiling water. Stir and leave to steep for 7-8 minutes.
- Place the cranberry mix and the chopped apple in your smoothie maker. Add in a splash of cold water if you think the liquid is too warm.
- Blend on high for a minute or two until the cranberries and ginger have been incorporated.
- Pour your smoothie into a cup and mix in the remaining just boiled water. Drink as is, or you can put in the microwave for 30 seconds to heat a little more if required.
Do any of these winter smoothies tickle your tastebuds?